I have twenty-three years of experience building online services
from concept through to delivery for the highest tier of scaling
needs in the industry, with experience in every segment of the
product stack from uptime-critical backend systems and devops to
team leadership and strategic planning. I work at the
intersection of design, architecture, implementation, planning
and operations. I actively participate in open source communities.
Skills and Strengths
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, gRPC, Docker, Compose, Google Cloud.
- Management: Requirements planning, scope reduction,
release management, interfacing with stakeholders.
- Systems: Postgres, Spanner, MySQL, SQLite, DynamoDB, Redis, Linux administration.
- Practices: Security auditing, prototyping,
performance tuning, analytics.
Professional Experience Highlights
San Francisco, CA (remote from Austin, TX)
March 2018-March 2019
- Development, deployment and maintenance of large-scale
build and test tooling for autonomous vehicle simulation.
- Architecture and deployment of large-scale work distribution systems built with Go, gRPC, Kubernetes and Spanner..
- Optimization of cloud infrastructure.
- Large scale orchestration of AWS and Google Cloud tools.
- Key Skills: Go, gRPC, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Postgres, Spanner, Redis, AWS, Google Cloud, operations.
Mountain View, CA
- Security startup deploying a runtime agent to client
computers for centralized event aggregation and forensic
analysis of large data sets.
- Architecture and delivery of a mission-critical Go codebase
and data layer for complete user-management; login, billing,
and resource provisioning. Completion of this project allowed
the company to move from a professional services model to
- Analysis and optimization strategies for a complex Postgres schema.
- Mentoring and prioritization for junior developers.
- Key Skills: Whole-system design, Go, Postgres, AWS, Python, ReST APIs.
Advanced Innovations Group, IBM Inc.
San Jose, CA
- Research position focused on rapid development of testbed
technologies and exploration of new endeavors in order to
expand the business presence of IBM.
- Development of Go Ethereum-based contract technology
for work distribution to embedded devices (patent grant).
This work enabled distribution for the Watson AI platform
as well as changes integrated into the Ethereum codebase.
- Development of software-defined networking for high-volume
dynamic routing of video content. Operated as team technical
architecture lead as well as review and management
of fellow implementers. This work created a new business unit
for IBM, allowing it to participate in the CDN marketplace.
Mountain View, CA
Feb 2009-Oct 2015
- Full-stack web development focused on the delivery of commercial-grade
photo storage and sales.
- Full project life-cycle ownership with independent oversight
of design, operations, and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Implementation of a full analytics system for user
statistics. This distributed system manages hundred of
millions of records per day, sourcing raw data from Cloudflare
and processing it for direct consumption by end-users in near
real-time. This system continues to function and fulfills the
analytics needs of thousands of subscribers.
- Implementation of payment mechanisms with currency support
to enable all site ecommerce.
- Implementation of a SDK and proxy for Amazon's DynamoDB in
Go. Presented at AWS Re:Invent.
- Migration of data from MySQL to DynamoDB.
- Key Skills: Whole-system design, Go, MySQL, AWS, DynamoDB, C++, ReST APIs, Perl.
May 1996-Feb 2009
- Employee #83, group of first dozen engineers to bootstrap Yahoo.
- 1996: Maintainer of the database of all links in the Yahoo Directory.
- 1996-2000: Sole developer and maintainer of Yahoo News.
- 2000-2005: Developer of Yahoo Shopping and development team manager.
- 2005-2007: Developer of Yahoo Maps and Local Search.
- 2007-2009: Yahoo Pipes maintenance and Yahoo Query Language Developer.
- Key Skills: Perl, C, C++.
October 1995-May 1996
- Worked on systems for large-scale SGML conversion and processing.
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
December 1994-October 1995
- Worked on systems for designing SGML DTDs graphically.
- Community Education:
- AWS Re:Invent 2013 presentation: "Migrating from MySQL to DynamoDB" (pics, video/slides).
- Intellectual Property:
- Open Source Contributions:
B.Sc Computer Science, Queen's University, Kingston Ontario, Canada 1994.
I am a naturalized US citizen.