Builder of online services
from concept through to delivery for the highest tier of scaling
needs in the industry, with experience in every segment of the
product stack from uptime-critical backend systems and devops to
team leadership and strategic planning. I work at the
intersection of design, architecture, implementation, planning
and operations. I actively participate in open source communities.
Skills and Strengths
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, gRPC, Docker, Compose, Google Cloud.
- Management: Requirements planning, scope reduction,
release management, interfacing with stakeholders.
- Systems: Postgres, Spanner, MySQL, SQLite, DynamoDB, Redis, Linux administration.
- Practices: Security auditing, prototyping,
performance tuning, analytics.
Professional Experience Highlights
Remote from Austin, TX
- Architecture of large-scale security systems, focusing on
remote access and threat evaluation.
- Key Skills: Go, gRPC, GraphQL, CockroachDB, MySQL, Redis, AWS.
San Francisco, CA (remote from Austin, TX)
March 2018-March 2019
- Development, deployment and maintenance of large-scale
build and test tooling for autonomous vehicle simulation.
- Architecture and deployment of large-scale work distribution systems built with Go, gRPC, Kubernetes and Spanner..
- Optimization of cloud infrastructure.
- Large scale orchestration of AWS and Google Cloud tools.
- Key Skills: Go, gRPC, Python, Docker, Kubernetes, Postgres, Spanner, Redis, AWS, Google Cloud, operations.
Mountain View, CA
- Security startup deploying a runtime agent to client
computers for centralized event aggregation and forensic
analysis of large data sets.
- Architecture and delivery of a mission-critical Go codebase
and data layer for complete user-management; login, billing,
and resource provisioning. Completion of this project allowed
the company to move from a professional services model to
- Analysis and optimization strategies for a complex Postgres schema.
- Mentoring and prioritization for junior developers.
- Key Skills: Whole-system design, Go, Postgres, AWS, Python, ReST APIs.
Advanced Innovations Group, IBM Inc.
San Jose, CA
- Research position focused on rapid development of testbed
technologies and exploration of new endeavors in order to
expand the business presence of IBM.
- Development of Go Ethereum-based contract technology
for work distribution to embedded devices (patent grant).
This work enabled distribution for the Watson AI platform
as well as changes integrated into the Ethereum codebase.
- Development of software-defined networking for high-volume
dynamic routing of video content. Operated as team technical
architecture lead as well as review and management
of fellow implementers. This work created a new business unit
for IBM, allowing it to participate in the CDN marketplace.
Mountain View, CA
Feb 2009-Oct 2015
- Full-stack web development focused on the delivery of commercial-grade
photo storage and sales.
- Full project life-cycle ownership with independent oversight
of design, operations, and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Implementation of a full analytics system for user
statistics. This distributed system manages hundred of
millions of records per day, sourcing raw data from Cloudflare
and processing it for direct consumption by end-users in near
real-time. This system continues to function and fulfills the
analytics needs of thousands of subscribers.
- Implementation of payment mechanisms with currency support
to enable all site ecommerce.
- Implementation of a SDK and proxy for Amazon's DynamoDB in
Go. Presented at AWS Re:Invent.
- Migration of data from MySQL to DynamoDB.
- Key Skills: Whole-system design, Go, MySQL, AWS, DynamoDB, C++, ReST APIs, Perl.
May 1996-Feb 2009
- Employee #83, group of first dozen engineers to bootstrap Yahoo.
- 1996: Maintainer of the database of all links in the Yahoo Directory.
- 1996-2000: Sole developer and maintainer of Yahoo News.
- 2000-2005: Developer of Yahoo Shopping and development team manager.
- 2005-2007: Developer of Yahoo Maps and Local Search.
- 2007-2009: Yahoo Pipes maintenance and Yahoo Query Language Developer.
- Key Skills: Perl, C, C++.
October 1995-May 1996
- Worked on systems for large-scale SGML conversion and processing.
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
December 1994-October 1995
- Worked on systems for designing SGML DTDs graphically.
- Community Education:
- AWS Re:Invent 2013 presentation: "Migrating from MySQL to DynamoDB" (pics, video/slides).
- Intellectual Property:
- Open Source Contributions:
B.Sc Computer Science, Queen's University, Kingston Ontario, Canada 1994.
I am a naturalized US citizen.